Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Here Comes the Flood





"When the flood calls; You have no home, you have no walls; In the thunder crash; You're a thousand minds, within a flash; Don't be afraid to cry at what you see.." Here Comes the Flood-Peter Gabriel


As many of you know living in the metro Atlanta area, it has been quite a week already with flood and rain. Birmingham hasn't had it nearly as bad as the Atlanta area. Just lots of nasty, rainy weather.

Luckily those lyrics above are simply that-lyrics. They aren't truth or fact. We do have a home when our physical walls come down due to a flood. Whether that flood is an actual deluge of water or if it is a series of circumstances that seem overwhelming and overflowing, we have a solid rock to stand on.

It seems that this year has brought flood after flood in our lives. Yesterday we found out that my grandmother, Mimi, was diagnosed with cancer. We aren't sure of what kind of cancer yet and are awaiting some other tests. She will be moving to Virginia to live with my Uncle and Aunt so that someone can take her to and from the doctor. I think once we know the type of cancer and treatment involved, we are going to evaluate our next steps.

Please keep her in your prayers and my Mom. Despite the hiccups of having Mimi stay with us while Mom was healing, she was there! I am forever indebted to her for staying by my Mom's side while she needed someone to feed, bath and help her do daily tasks.

And fortunately for us we know that those lyrics aren't truth. We do have a home. God will never destroy with a flood. In fact the waters may rush over us and it may feel as if we are drowning yet He will see us on the other side.

Genesis 9:11-12 (New International Version)
11 I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth."

12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come:

Isaiah 43:2-4 (New International Version)

2 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.

3 For I am the LORD, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
Cush [a] and Seba in your stead.

4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you,
I will give men in exchange for you,
and people in exchange for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment