Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Separation Anxiety

Blake and I have had phases of being a long distance couple in our 3.5 years of dating. When we first met he lived in town, just a few miles away. Then after about 4 months he moved back home to wait and see what med school would accept him. He was about 4 hours away and we did our best to see each other as often as we could and adapt to our new relationship as it changed and grew.

Luckily, UAB was where he ended up for med school and as quickly as he left Birmingham he returned back! We lived only 15 minutes away from each other for 2 years until this past year when he moved to Tuscaloosa for his 3rd year rotations.

We went right back to being a “long distance” couple and relied heavily on our cell phone providers and their unlimited text messaging and/or friends and family plans. Tuscaloosa is only an hour away and the weeks tend to go by fairly quickly and before I realize it the weekend is upon us.

The fall seemed to fly by because I was always headed to Tuscaloosa on game days (Go Dawgs-don’t worry UGA you’re still #1 in my book). The New Year started with a few surgeries for mom and an engagement ring for me. Here we are today in the thick of wedding planning.

Not much is left to plan really, just a lot of tiny details before the big day. But what I am realizing more and more is that I am so ready to live not only in the same city as Blake but also the same apartment with Blake. I am thrilled about our upcoming wedding but I’m more excited to no longer be separated by space and time.

I am eager to share a space with my best friend. Dare I say it, I am ready to have a roommate again?! Lately I can tell in my voice and his that each time we say goodbye at night we are both experiencing a little separation anxiety…Just wishing it was as easy as rolling over and turning off a bedside lamp instead of hanging up a cell phone.

Do you ever experience separation anxiety from your true love? Well the funny thing is you can’t. You can never be separated from the love of God. No matter what happens in life-good or bad-nothing can keep you from God’s love.

Life throws a lot of curve balls and change up pitches. Sometimes a curve ball comes and I’m not even standing in the batter’s box! But no matter what, I’m still receiving the redeeming love of my Savior.

Of all the verses in the Bible this one speaks to me the most. I think because of what it says so clearly. Nothing can keep me from God’s love-not even unexplained car accidents, cancer, depression, or even happy times. He is and always will be right by our sides.

Romans 8:37-39 (New International Version)
37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment