Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sunshower


So as I have posted before my life seems to mirror the weather. We have had a sudden patch of storms roll through Birmingham lately. The weeks will be day after day of sunshine and then our weekends are rainy and dreary. This past Friday I experienced both-I was driving in bright sunlight and it was raining, almost pouring with not a cloud in sight.

I feel like the past few weeks I haven’t felt the urge to post much. Of course if anything is happening with my parents progress I want to post and tell you all about it but the fountain of what God was teaching me hasn’t felt to be overflowing quite like it was around 5 months ago when this crisis struck.

Maybe nothing is going on? Maybe God isn’t teaching me anything? Maybe this is the end of the blog until Mom is fully restored. No, not quite. Everything is going on, God is constantly teaching me things and I feel like I was called to continue this blog for reasons unbeknownst to me.

I think what’s going on here is that my spiritual life is experiencing a bit of a sunshower. Have you ever been in a sunshower? That’s where I feel like I am right now. Around me good things are happening. I still have my job in an economic crisis, my parents are healing, my friends are supportive and I have a great relationship with Blake that is headed in a wonderful direction…BUT I am not happy. I say happy as opposed to joyful-I’ll get to that later.

I just feel like even though I am covered over in good things it’s rainy inside. I couldn’t place my finger on it. Was something wrong at work, was I mad at a friend, am I still dealing with the post-traumatic stress of my parent’s accident? No, quite frankly, I wasn’t in the word. I wasn’t reading God’s word daily. I wasn’t relying on his strength to pull me through each day-sunny or rainy.

It finally hit me that despite my sunshower God is still present in my life and can offer me an eternal joy. I can be joyful even if internally I feel a bit down or dreary. As a matter of fact, often times the best part of a sunshower is that a rainbow will appear. That joy will spring out of your passing shower. That a promise offered by God that he will never leave us or forsake us is written in the sky.

Genesis 9:12-15 (New International Version)
12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.

No comments:

Post a Comment