Thursday, May 7, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

So if my Mom reads this before Mother's Day then she will be surprised because this blog entry is all about her today. I wanted to get her a special gift this year. I always try to get a gift that I know she will love but this year is more special of course simply because despite her pain and trauma these past 5 months she has still been my Mom. I decided to buy her a Willow Tree figurine. Mom has several already but when I saw this I knew right away it was made just for my Mom. Her name is Courage- and her tag line reads:Bringing a triumphant spirit, inspiration and courage.

That is my Mom!



They look a like I think. Maybe not right now but someday soon Mom will stand with both arms outstretched and overhead triumphantly towards our Maker praising him for total restoration. She has definitely been an inspiration to me and shown such courage through this whole ordeal.

Maybe she was in a morphine induced haze but I remember clearly some of the things she told me when she was in the NCCU back in December. I was just sobbing away because I knew I had to leave and drive back to Birmingham that night and she said, "I know it looks bad. Don't cry. I'll be okay." It was so motherly. Here she was on a bed unable to move her arms and neck hooked up to many machines and had morphine pumping through her veins to control the pain and she said the same things she said to me as a little girl, " I know your scraped knee looks bad. Don't cry. You'll be okay."

Even now when she is at home by herself all day still in pain or restrained because of her limited mobility she still listens to me. I remember calling her about a month and half ago when I felt really sick and all I could do was cry and she listened and said, "I know you feel bad. It's okay to cry and let it out but you'll get better." I couldn't believe she was the one telling me I'd be okay. She still couldn't move her left arm and had a cast on her right arm and she wasn't complaining. No she simply empathized with the pain and nurtured me as if I were 5 years old again and figuratively lifted me up in her arms over the phone.

My Mom is a strong woman. I forget this sometimes but then I think about all she has already been through before this accident. All the surgeries for her neck and jaw, all the pain with other physical ailments and emotional heartache and here she is with yet another obstacle. Only a few times has she broken down and cried because of the pain or discomfort. Only a few times has she said she was tired of being sick or at stuck at home. But more often than not when I call her everyday after work she is happy and her bubbly self. Full of life and energy and pleased to be talking to her little girl. She is definitely one of the strongest women I know.

I love you Mom! Happy Mother's Day

Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment