Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Not Lucky!



Obviously today is St. Patrick's day. I have on my green even though I'm not Irish and I have already gotten several emails from various vendors letting me know it's my "lucky" day and I can get free shipping or 30% off their products.

It got me thinking about luck in general. Wikipedia defines luck as the following:
Luck (also called fortuity) is a chance happening, or that which happens beyond a person's control...good fortune/misfortune.

I say things all the time about how lucky I am that I live where I do, how lucky I am that I have a job in this economy, how lucky I am that my parents are alive today, how lucky we were that the state trooper saw their car...yet that isn't true at all.

How blessed we are that we have a loving Father that is in control and that our lives are not just up to chance. That we don't have to approach each day with our fingers crossed hoping it is our "lucky" day. Hoping that the next 24 hours are filled with chance happenings beyond our control. No we are blessed and honored to have a God who is constantly laying out plans for us. Plans and a purpose. We don't have to walk into each day holding a lucky four leaf clover or rabbit's foot.

Our faith is not based on superstitions, wishes, or the off chance that today may be our "lucky" day. Our faith is based on truth and the infallible word of God. We have assurance, security, confidence, and hope. These are words that often in our day and time we don't hear. Especially in this recession-the idea of assurance and security are not daily words spoken on the nightly news.

Thank goodness I am not lucky but instead I am promised, I have hope, I am blessed...
Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

If you are feeling a little in the Irish mood however, I do recommend the movie Waking Ned Devine.

It is a cute movie about a small Irish village and winning the lottery. I think this movie shows us that you will find the true value of how blessed we are to have friends in this often unlucky world!

No comments:

Post a Comment