Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Springtime in Narnia



One of my favorite books as a child and even more as an adult is C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Lewis has the ability to turn what is fantasy and magic into a quiet beautiful analogy of our own spiritual journey.

When we first see Narnia it is a winter wonderland covered in snow and what appears to be quite peaceful and calm. However after some stay in Narnia we realize the winter has done nothing but frozen all new life. Nothing grows, no new life buds, no promise of change or hope around the corner. Instead everything and everyone within Narnia is under the White Witch's spell, living in a frozen tundra.

Without giving you a book report, the best part in any of the Chronicles of Narnia is when Aslan enters the picture. He roars in triumphantly and offers salvation. Aslan sacrifices his own life in order to save Edmund's. Of course, Aslan doesn't stay dead for long though as death holds no victory over him.

When Christ comes into our life we have the hope of spring, new life, birds begin to sing a new song, flowers bloom, frozen brooks begin to babble and all is alive again. We are no longer trapped in a cold stagnant environment, we are alive, warm, and flowing with the new life that Christ offers.

I am looking forward to spring. I have already enjoyed the weather, the longer days, the blooming nature around me. The literal gift from heaven to show me that we are not trapped in a frozen state of mind but that life is around the corner with the promise of Christ. So far 2009 has felt a bit like the frozen winter of Narnia. The fact that springtime is upon us offers me the hope that God has something really special in store for me and my family.

As we approach this new season, I have new prayer requests. I am asking God to fully restore my Mom. Her right hand is weak and for her to fully become self sufficient she needs all her strength back in her fingers. Her left arm is not at full mobility. For her to really be able to care for herself, dress herself and begin to live independently we need that left arm to function normally again. Pray with me this spring that we will see my Mom back to 100% health.

One of the songs from the movie version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by Jars of Clay has had a big impact on me. The lyrics are below. I think my favorite line is how the author is waiting for the scene to change but later has realized that his view has changed him. His own surroundings are molding him rather than waiting on those to change for him. No matter what, nothing ever changes who he is to God though and that is the real hope we have. Nothing we do or don't do, no season, no life circumstance can change us from who we are to God.

Waiting for the World to Fall
I'm afraid it's been too long to try to find the reasons why
I let my world close in around a smaller patch of fading sky
But now I've grown beyond the walls to where I've never been
And it's still winter in my wonderland

Chorus
I'm waiting for the world to fall
I'm waiting for the scene to change
I'm waiting when the colors come
I'm waiting to let my world come undone

I close my eyes and try to see the world unbroken underneath
The farther off and already it just might make the life I lead
A little more than make-believe when all my skies are painted blue
And the clouds don't ever change the shape of who I am to You

Chorus
I'm waiting for the world to fall
I'm waiting for the scene to change
I'm waiting when the colors come
I'm waiting to let my world come undone

When I catch the light of falling stars my view is changing me
My view is changing me

I'm waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment