Friday, January 15, 2010

Ashes to Beauty

I named this blog after the verse in Isaiah:
Isaiah 61:3 (New International Version)

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

It was such a beautiful picture in my mind when I was feeling utterly hopeless in the days after my parent's accident. I wanted to experience beauty from these ashes, gladness for my mourning and praise in place of my despair. I wanted and craved all those things and I knew the only way to find beauty in the madness and calamity my family was experiencing was at the foot of the cross.

In the hours, days, weeks, months and now a year, I found moments of beauty. Whether that came from a phone call, email, visit, prayer, good reports from doctors or laughter from my parents, I knew that ultimately there would be gladness for mourning.

I have tried to start 2010 more positive. I have a running joke with some of my friends that whatever resolution or goal you want this year just insert it into the year. For example 20honest10, 20loseweight10, and so on. Not sure why we think this is so funny or helpful but it works!

20beautyforashes10!

I am ready for the beauty AND I am seeing the beauty! In weird small ways God is showing me that He is here and has been all along and the days ahead won't be so hard. The days ahead will have trials but He has already overcome those.

Mom is doing really well for having two recent surgeries. She is in less pain and is ready to start healing. Thank you to all who have read my blog and responded. She is always in such good spirits when I call and talk to her. She either has just gotten off the phone with someone, read a note in the mail or has someone coming over to visit or bring food.

You are all too kind to my family! I hope that my words express the gratitude in my heart. I am so amazed every day by the love shone to them and your care and concern. 20thankyousomuch10 (okay sorry enough with that).

Anyways-I wanted to share a song with you. It really translates what Ashes to Beauty looks like. It is when we find Beauty no matter what at the cross where he suffered for us.




Kathryn Scott
At the Foot of the Cross

At the foot of the cross
Where grace and suffering meet
You have shown me Your love
Through the judgment You received

And You've won my heart
Yes You've won my heart
Now I can

Trade these ashes in for beauty
And wear forgiveness like a crown
Coming to kiss the feet of mercy
I lay every burden down
At the foot of the cross

At the foot of the cross
Where I am made complete
You have given me life
Through the death You bore for me

I'm laying every burden down
I'm laying every burden down

1 comment: