Friday, January 29, 2010

In the Homestretch



As a runner, one of the favorite parts of almost every run is the homestretch. The last mile or so when I know I'm almost done with a grueling run. I mentally feel better just knowing I am headed towards my car or apt and that means I'm even closer to a shower, food and elastic waist pants.

I am running the Mercedes Half Marathon on Valentine's day in a few weeks. It'll be my 3rd Half, my 2nd Mercedes and my 1st time running the new course. Training wise-I'm in the home stretch. I have about one more long run left and then I can sort of taper off in my training. I know that when I round mile 12 on February 14th, I'll really be in the homestretch of these past 8 weeks of training.

I think in a lot of ways my parents are in the homestretch. My Mom just got the go ahead to drive again and is hopefully rounding her mile 12 and headed to the finish line of recovery. My Dad is in the homestretch of his career and heading towards retirement. My prayer for both of them is that they will mentally and physically enjoy the homestretch.

The best part of the homestretch is the mental relaxation that takes place. Thoughts of water and BBQ (every Birmingham race serves BBQ at the post-race party) fill your tired mind and it allows you to just enjoy the last mile. To just push on to the finish line and let the wind blow through your sweaty hair as you finish the task.

However, I think a lot of times I fall into this homestretch mentality with my Christian walk and that is a huge mistake. I mentally let my guard down and dream of my life beyond the one I am called to live. I don't think the homestretch ever occurs for us on earth. I think as Christians we must constantly be running this race. We are called, chosen people!

Ephesians 1:4-6 (New International Version)

4For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5he[a] predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

In Bible study and even in my own personal time with God, I have been reading a lot about taking up our cross daily. DAILY being the key. We can't become complacent and say, "Well I took up my cross on Monday and it's Friday so I'm in the homestretch."

The beauty of "taking up our cross daily" is that the cross is where restoration, redemption and grace can be found and instead of dreading the idea of taking up our cross let us revel in the beauty that the cross represents and know that we are chosen.

I am reading "Into the Word" by Anne Graham Lotz and she said something so thought provoking. I am paraphrasing here but she said something along the lines that-If we take up our cross daily be ready because after the cross comes the power, resurrection and the glory.

So how can we not take up our cross? The homestretch is waiting for us in the afterlife and I have a feeling there will be a lot more to be excited about than just BBQ and elastic waist pants!

Luke 9:22-24 (New International Version)

22And he said, "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life."

23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

No comments:

Post a Comment