Monday, February 23, 2009

Leap of Faith

My Mom loves Harrison Ford. I remember watching the first 3 movies as a family. I never got around to that latest one that came out this summer but I clearly remember The Last Crusade. There is this one part in the end of that movie when Indy has to cross a ravine as his last "challenge" to get to the Holy Grail. He looks across the edge of the cliff to the other side and sees nothing but a vast empty space. Almost a bottomless pit that could lead to his death. He looks back to his guidebook and finally calms down as he realizes what really lies ahead. He even says, "It's a leap of faith!" Literally he has to "step" into thin air and trust there is solid ground so that he can get across. And of course there is, as soon as he places his foot down, into what looks like nothing, a bridge appears and he is able to run across to the other side. If you haven't seen it-you can see it here.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-c8_OFwZoY




This week already feels like we are stepping out in faith to get to the other side of the journey. As of yesterday, my grandmother finally decided to go home. I think the pressure of the situation and her age have finally taken it's toll. Sadly, I think her age is going to be more of an issue later. There are some classic warning signs that are starting to appear and I feel like we need to keep a close eye on her in the next few months.

So Mimi left on Sunday and that leaves my Mom alone during the days while Dad is at work. She is somewhat okay to be alone but still faces obstacles and challenges all day. Little things like going to the bathroom, putting her clothes on after, fixing a meal, etc.. Things that require assistance not full reliance but help. Her therapist and friends will stop by when they can but she still will be by herself for a majority of the day until Dad gets home from work.

After hearing the news last night about Mimi leaving, I think I had my Indy moment. I stood frozen on the edge of the cliff scared to move, scared to "stretch out my hand," helpless, alone, terrified of what lies ahead for us. I worried about Mom being alone and then worried about Mimi going back home to be alone.

I couldn't relax and all I saw was the vast empty space between me and the other side. My brow started to sweat and my years of experience as a great archeologist were offering me no consolation. Okay so maybe I am not an archeologist per se but bear with me for the metaphor...Finally Blake brought out our guidebook and I was able to calm down.

We read from Mark. The verse dealt with someone dealing with unbelief and lack of faith in regards to the healing of their son. The honesty and absolute cry for faith struck a cord with me.

Mark 9:23-24 (New International Version)

23" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

24Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

A simple prayer can make the bridge appear. I may not see quite where that bridge leads but it makes that first step a lot easier when you know that someone hears your cry. When that someone is your Messiah, Savior and Friend.

Pray for my Mom this week as she battles this journey alone, pray for me as I struggle with my unbelief and faith, and pray for my Mimi as she enters into another journey in her own life. "It's a leap of faith!"

No comments:

Post a Comment