Friday, January 23, 2009

Candyland?



Candyland
I loved this game when I was younger. I have a huge sweet tooth and really any spot on the board seemed like a great place to stop. Life was great in Candyland. You had the Candy Cane Forest or Gum Drop Mountain even the Molasses Swamp didn't seem so bad.

I sometimes wish life were like Candyland these days. I want it to be easy and sweet. No troubles and if you land on that card that sends you backwards or gets you stuck on a space, at least it smells and tastes pretty good.

Yet how would we know what our faith looked like if we did not have trials? If my life was all gumdrops and sugarcanes I don't think I would ever really grow. I probably wouldn't even roll the dice to get to the next stop on the board game. I'd be super happy just hanging with Gramma Nut or Mr. Mint and never really worry about how to save the lost King of Candyland.

Thank goodness life is less like Candyland and more like well...the game of LIFE.

James 1:2-3 (New International Version)

Trials and Temptations
2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

Mom had a pretty bad day yesterday. Really discouraged and frustrated with the path in front of her. No Gum Drop Mountain just a lot of waiting and therapy and time. She did not want to continue playing. She was tired and wanted the game to be over. I think we all do. But we have to realize how far we have come. How long we have been playing this game. We are close to the 2 month mark and happily we are not in the hospital. Ribs are healing, staples are all out, bruises are gone..but spirits may be a bit damaged.

I am going home tonight and we have big plans-Mamma Mia on DVD! I also brought West Side Story. I remember seeing it with Mom on TV when I was younger. My very first musical and I instantly loved it. Heck, maybe after all the singing and dancing we'll play a round of Candyland.

No comments:

Post a Comment