Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Perseverance 5k

I got to run outside yesterday for the first time in months. I have a love/hate relationship with running but I go crazy when I can't run. It clears my head and helps me stay grounded. It's pretty good therapy too. I can have at least 30 to 40 minutes alone with no cell phone and no one bugging me or asking me any questions. It's my "me" time. It also is my excuse to eat what I want although I don't know if I get a pass when I only run a few miles at a time.

I have ran 2 half marathons and both times my parents have been there. Not to mention the other random races they have been in town to support me for. They have stood in sleet and snow flurries, sunshine, rain and have even driven to Nashville to see me run. I am not a Kenyan. I don't win these races by any means. I usually tell them the same thing. Okay go get some coffee and I'll see you guys in about 2 hours at the finish line.

It is so motivating to know they are somewhere on the course cheering for me or waiting at the finish line with the camera.



This was after my first half marathon in 2007. I have participated in Birmingham's Mercedes marathon weekend for at least 3 years. I did the relay last year and in 2006, both times running a 10k stretch of the course. Then in 2007, me and my best friend both ran the half marathon. My parents were there for 2 of those 3 races, standing on the side lines cheering me on.

The comparisons to my Mom's recovery and training for and running in a marathon are glaringly obvious. It's a long road and path. There are highs and lows. We get encouraged and discouraged. Each day is like a new mile or half mile we have to conquer. There will be set backs, blisters, aches and pains but ultimately at the end of the race, she will find her reward of full health. She will cross the finish line of this journey and be given her medal.

I will not be participating in Mercedes this year. It is in 3 weeks and my body is no where near half marathon condition. I haven't ran longer than 4 miles and I haven't had a weekend to dedicate to a long run since the accident. I am okay with that. It really doesn't make me sad to miss running for over 2 hours for no reason, so don't be upset. However, there is a small little 5k in March at my church-The Perseverance 5K. My Dad has already said him and Mom want to get better in time to come and see me run!

We have a goal and we will continue to press on. I better make sure I start running again!

1 Corinthians 9:23-25 (New International Version)

23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment