Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inside Out



I like this picture of my parents. They are so darn cute all dressed up on their way to what I imagine would be church or Sunday school. They also have some amazing hair! I mean how perfect is my Mom's bob! Dad's hair isn't too bad either.

Mom has always had great hair. She does a good job of always getting the right cut and color that suits her best. Only a few times she has come home with a look that wasn't quite right-that time in the 80's when she got a perm or the time she went a little too blond for Dad's taste. Other than those hiccups, she has always had fabulous hair.

She taught me the fine art of "going to the salon." We would schedule our appointments on the same day and head over to Old Town Conyers and visit our stylist and friend, Lisa, and spend the day being pampered. I no longer see Lisa anymore simply because of distance reasons but I still know the importance of seeing my stylist on a regular basis. Blake also has learned that this appointment is important and quite a hassle to get rescheduled!

Mom had her hair colored and trimmed the day before the accident. She got a little bit of red in her color and it looked great. Dad may say it was a little "too red!" Whatever the case, her hair looked amazing. She found out they had to shave it a little on her neck for her surgery and I remember telling her in the NCCU that I thought it still looked cute-sort of a stacked bob. She pouted and said, "But I was growing it out!"

Then it seemed like it took them forever to wash it in the hospital. I think it wasn't until the day after Christmas that she actually got a full shower and her hair washed. She went twenty whole days before finally getting a shampoo. I washed her hair again on January 10th, which means she waited again another two weeks.

She got her hair washed yesterday by Lisa. It wasn't by a nurse or me, but by her hair dresser, Lisa. Talk about being pampered. Lisa drove out to our house in Covington, which is basically out in the country, and washed and styled my Mom's hair. She also brought an apple pie for my Dad. Now that is a good stylist!

I know that made Mom feel normal again and back to her old self. She even sounded chipper when I talked to her yesterday. Of course we know that the inside is what matters. The Lord even told Samuel the exact same thing.

1 Samuel 16:7 (New International Version)

7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

It's just that in the midst of this accident we have seen how beautiful people truly are, including my parents. My Mom's spirit is beautiful, my Dad's care for Mom exudes beauty. My Mimi leaving her own house to care for her daughter displays beauty every day. People from the church bringing food, Lisa washing and drying Mom's hair, nurses, doctors, friends, family-each of them are beautiful. They are the hands and feet of Jesus and how beautiful they are to us.

It's the inside peeking out that matters but it also helps to have terrific hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment