Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Clarity in the Fog

I am not sure about y'all but it has been horrible weather lately. I decided not to leave on my lunch break today because it rained all morning and looking out the window from my office doesn't seem all that promising.

Every time we left St. Mary's to drive back to Covington the fog was so thick you could barely see ahead of you. One night it was so bad I made my Aunt spend the night because I didn't want anyone else driving home in that. It almost didn't help to have your lights on. You could barely make out the car ahead of you or the car approaching you from the other side of the road. Dangerous and very unsafe.



Last weekend as Blake and I were driving into Atlanta you could barely make out billboards or buildings from I-20. The fog was so thick that things were hidden underneath the haze. Blake even said, "Can you see that sign?" Immediately I responded with NOPE!

It wasn't until you came closer to the object, car, building, sign, etc that you instantly recognized your landmark or could read the words.

Even this morning the skyline of Birmingham seemed hidden in a haze of fog that hung over the city. It was as I drove down Red Mountain this morning that I realized God's timing is like a fog to me sometimes.

It makes no sense, its hard to navigate and I struggle to move forward. Sometimes the words Dangerous and Unsafe even come to mind. I want to stay home where I feel secure and sleep until the sun comes out because it seems safer indoors.

I decided to change jobs after four years of having a great job. I wasn't sure why I was doing it but I knew God was leading me in a direction that I could not resist. Then a week after I started my new job my parents were in this accident. My old job was fast paced, fun and high stress-but I enjoyed it. My weekends were always busy with work related events especially during the months of Jan-March. I remember telling Blake that I would have a lot more open weekends once I changed jobs.

That statement is funny to hear now-I havee been coming home almost every weekend and probably will until I know everyone is fully recovered. I don't mind it and of course God's timing is perfect.

When my parents had their accident they were on a dark country road. A state trooper was running radar that night and saw the whole thing. Had he not been there, my parents would have been stranded in a ravine in 28 degree weather. God's timing to have that state trooper there was perfect.

Mom is coming home today. We aren't really ready. We need 24 hour care for her because of her situation. Dad's doctor's appointment is tomorrow-her first full day back and he won't be there for a greater part of the day. We can't get my grandmother to come down until later in the week. Everyone seems to be frantic and scrambling for the right answers. I feel like I can't help out so far away today and that frustrates me. Things seem Dangerous and Unsafe.

I can't see the cars ahead or the signs on the road directing my family which way to go. I can't see the buildings or the skyline letting me know we are in the right place. I can't see any of this because God is only allowing me to see the next step. I need to just trust that once again His timing is perfect.

I am reminded of one of my favorite verses:
Isaiah 55:8-9 (New International Version)

8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

We serve a big God who sees the bigger picture. He asks us only to trust and pray and acknowledge that He is in control.

That I will ultimately pull into my driveway on a foggy night and make it home. That there is Clarity, Comfort, Security and even Peace in the fog.

5 comments:

  1. Emily, I needed to hear that. You are an awesome sister. I have been so amazed at the things God is teaching you and us through all of this. God used you to help me see that God is BIG and He knows the bigger picture and He will help us through all of this even down to the smallest details. Thanks for all you do and thanks for being the BEST sister in the world!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing woman! Your words are always so inspiring! I know that God is watching over you and your family! You and your family are in my prayers! Love and miss you!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful analogy of the situation and fog. I love to see how you trust God with every aspect of your life. I want to come see your mother. I pray for all of you and know that God is in control! He will guide and direct you as He so faithfully does. You and Amy are fortunate to have parents who raised you in a Godly home and I am sure you are a blessing to them. You speak to me each day that I read your blog and I thank you for your Godly words and cherish them as teaching from God. You are and have always been special to me. I am blessed by being a friend of you all.
    Love and prayers to you all...Rosalyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Emily, you write about your hope and your pain and your faith...I wish you were still here at Adventure Travel so that I/we could help you and comfort you. But I know God will give you and your family the strength to get through each day and His help is far better than any that I can provide.. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, I've been trying to place a comment on your blog, but without success yet. Greg and I have been reading your blog about your parents accident and we thank you for being so used by God in this special way. We appreciate the way that God is teaching you through this situation. Your parents are in our thoughts and prayers always. We love you all.
    Amy's in-laws (Greg & Cathy)

    ReplyDelete