Sunday, December 28, 2008

3 week recap

Three weeks ago yesterday was the accident. It's crazy to think about that three weeks ago we had no idea what was unfolding before us. I had no idea I would be coming home every weekend to care for my parents, I had no idea that my Mom would be in the hospital for three weeks, and I had no idea that my holidays would unfold like they have. Three weeks ago, I had not imagined the possibility of having my parents so severely injured that they would require daily care or that my Mom may not regain use of one of her arms. Three weeks...21..days..504 hours.

Time passes quickly and changes right before your eyes. A lot or a little can happen in three weeks. In three weeks I have become completely dependent on God. I have always been a child of God but my faith definitely mirrors the ebb and flow of the ocean. Yet today I am more convinced that He is my comforter, my rock, my refuge, my hope, my strength and my Savior.

We saw Mom every day since Christmas. Each time I would get ready to leave Dad would be dressed and ready to go see her. He misses her terribly and I think it keeps both of their spirits up to see each other. I hate that they are apart. I think the three weeks finally got to Mom yesterday. She said she cried a good part of the morning. I know she hates being in a hospital for that long and I know she hates not knowing when she gets to come home. We all hate it but it must be miserable for her.

She is dependent on people for everything. Someone has to feed her, bath her, hold the phone to her ear, wipe her, dress her, blow her nose, scratch her...the list goes on. It's funny to once again realize that we need to be that dependent on God. We need to seek Him in everything we do. We need his strength to get through each day because when we try to do it on our own we fail or grow tired.

Mom said she was watching It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve and she finally had enough of Bedford Falls and wanted to go to sleep but she couldn't even turn the TV off. She tried to use her foot but kept pushing the TV farther away. Finally she gave up and called the nurse. She felt stupid calling a nurse to turn off the TV but she had no other choice.

There is a lot to learn from that scenario. I need to learn a lot from that scenario. I can't make Mom's arm come back staring at it or talking about it. I can't make Mom come home wishing and hoping. I can only depend on God to heal and restore both of my parents.

Paul said it best:
2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (New International Version)

8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

God's strength is made perfect in our weakness.

I am asking you to pray with me in the restoration of my Mom's left arm and in her full and complete recovery. In our weakness His strength is made perfect!

I am going home today and will probably not see Mom and Dad again until next weekend. If anyone wants to visit her at St. Mary's and watch the UGA game on Jan 1st I know she'll enjoy the company. I can't come home until the weekend or otherwise I certainly would!

No comments:

Post a Comment