Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tuesday's Update

I talked to Dad last night and we were both discouraged. As of last night Mom had not really improved and her pain level was about the same. My Dad's sister, Ann, went to visit her and she said she wasn't very alert and didn't really make much sense when she was awake.

We knew she wouldn't be moved to a regular room yesterday. I think all of us, Amy included felt really down about her situation. I only saw days and weeks of Mom in a sterile hospital hooked up to every possible machine. I hated not being able to really talk to her and the thought of having my Mom in an incoherent state for another week or so discouraged and depressed me more.

Dad said that he got really homesick and started to feel really sad about Mom so he read the sermon notes from a First Baptist of Atlanta, Dr. Stanley message on Anxiety. He said if he continued to stay in the word and hear the truths from scripture then he knew he would feel better and not allow fear or negativity enter in.

The first verse he read was so appropriate:
Philippians 4:8 (New American Standard Bible)

8Finally, brethren, (A)whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

I had to reread that several times this morning. I didn't have it in me to call the NCCU again today only to be told she showed no signs of improvement. Instead I called Dad and decided to just wait. I called Dad back at lunch and he said that Mom seems to be doing better today. The nurse even said-well it looks like you have a sparkle in your eye today! He said that one of the church members called him and told him that Mom had her eyes open the entire time they visited with her and she seemed very alert. So much so that she asked them to tell Dad that she has a Belk's bill in her Bible that needs to be paid! That sounds just like my Mom-so that has even helped me have a sparkle in my eye.

I hope she continues to do better and I will continue to dwell on the victories instead of the negatives. This verse has crossed my path twice today and it is a promise I will repeat.
Psalms 147:3 "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds!"

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think that remembering the Belk bill is a huge PLUS!

    Sounds like the old Natalie to me!

    Prayers your way!
    HH

    ReplyDelete