Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tuesday's Update

I got misty eyed at lunch....okay scratch that, I cried at lunch when I thought about what my Christmas morning may be like compared to what it has been in the past. I wasn't really crying tears of joy, I think they may be selfish tears or even angry tears. We won't be waking up as a family to Christmas music and Jesus birthday cake, we won't be heading over to my Aunt and Uncle's house for the big Christmas breakfast. No we will be carefully driving an hour to see my Mom in a hospital bed.

I feel bad that I am even upset about that. I should be so thankful that I will be seeing my Mom and my Dad will be seeing her for the first time in almost 20 days. This week has been hard. The drama of the situation has settled and now real life is beginning and I am tired. Although I know your prayers have not ceased, even now the prayers you said at the beginning are still like a sweet fragrance to my family as we mend and heal.

I've been thinking about all the little things today.

It's the little things...the traditions at Christmas that always mean so much. hugs and kisses, smiles on the faces of children when they open gifts, laughter across a kitchen table or in front of the tree, putting out the nativity, hanging your favorite ornament, baking that special dish...

Dad went out today and got a haircut. Don't panic-he didn't drive, his sister took him. He told me just that little outing exhausted him. Such a little thing.

Mom has to have people help dress her, feed her, take her to the bathroom, little daily tasks, little things.

Jesus, a little baby, was born in a manager wrapped in swaddling clothes surrounded by lowly shepherds...seems like such a little thing for such a big moment in time.

The little things..they mean a lot though and usually are followed by something bigger like family, independence, love and even a heavenly host!

“Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.”- Luke 2:11-14

No comments:

Post a Comment