Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Update



This was the sunrise on Christmas morning. Dad wanted to leave our house around 7:30 am so we could get to Mom early. On our way out the front door this is the amazing skyline we saw. I grabbed Dad's camera and snapped a shot.

"Because of the Lord's faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. They are new every morning" Lam 3: 22-23

I had just read this verse 2 days ago and the promise was written across the sky for me to see on Christmas morning.

It's funny setting an alarm for Christmas at age 29. We set our alarms for 6:30am. I don't think I have woke up that early on Christmas in a long time. Amy said even her 2 kids who are 4 and 16 months didn't wake up that early. I will be honest, I hit snooze immediately. However, Dad was so ready to see Mom and I couldn't make him wait any longer.

After an hour drive we reached St. Mary's and headed for the rehab floor. Dad spotted Mom immediately. She was sitting in the main eating area and that's when the tears started to fall. It was so good for them to see each other. Tears of joy. We opened presents, laughed, and ate Jesus birthday cupcakes.

We went back to her room and visited for a while and then ate lunch together with some of the other rehab patients and their families. Hospital dressing just isn't the same as your family but everything tasted fine because it really didn't matter. One of the other patients' grandson brought his guitar and played carols in the dining room. We all sang Silent Night, Joy to the World and O Little Town of Bethlehem. It was obvious we were all a bit saddened that this was how we were spending our Christmas. Tears began to fall from all the family members that were surrounding us.

The Chaplin realized it too and she brought to our attention the words from O Little Town of Bethlehem. She mentioned how Christ came into the world to a lowly couple in a manager to a city that least expected the majesty of a King and even now in this hospital we can experience Christmas. Even if you are in a place that isn't typically how you experience Christmas the beauty of the season is that you can experience his Love and Hope anywhere.

O little town of Bethlehem
How still we see thee lie
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
The everlasting Light
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee tonight



We stayed until about 4pm and then headed back-Dad needed to rest and so did Mom. I am pretty sure Dad will ride with me today and see her again. He loves his wife so much and what an amazing example of marital love they constantly are for me.

Our prayer concerns are her left arm-she has no bicep control. She cannot lift her arm but if you lift it for her she has the tricep control to push it back down with your help. Also the wound on her leg that required the staples. It has been leaking lately and has caused some concern. They had to drain 3 liters of blood from it the other day. I know God is the Great Physician and can heal if we simply ask. I struggle with this sometimes and I think this passage in Mark is my own prayer concerning my Mom's injuries:

Mark 9:23-25 (New King James Version)

23 Jesus said to him, “If you can believe,[a] all things are possible to him who believes.” 24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

Lord, help me with my own unbelief-all things are possible with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment