Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday's Update

Yesterday the hospital lost our Mom? How does that happen? Where does she go? Did she escape? Apparently they needed her room for another patient so they had to move her to a different room but of course no one had clearly communicated that to anyone else so…when Amy, Dad and I called –they were looking to see where she was moved. We all called at the same time in 3 different states mind you. I think the Adams’ family as ESP now. They originally told Dad that she had been discharged to go home?

Dad’s response was pretty much what you are thinking now? This would be impossible considering Dad can’t drive to get her and Mom still doesn’t have a functioning arm on either side. Besides that, she probably is still moving at a snail’s pace so someone should check the lobby to see if she is still inside the building! Be on alert for a tiny Italian lady in a hospital gown wandering the St. Mary’s lobby.

Needless to say-they just switched her rooms and no one had let the right people know but they found her. Whew! Thank goodness.

After finally talking to a nurse and Dad getting to talk to her with a nurse holding the phone, it sounded like she had a bad night on Wednesday. She was in some pain and she can’t call the nurse unless someone puts the nurse call button in her hand. During the shift change her new nurse didn’t know this until they checked her in the morning. So she pretty much suffered through the night.

These are the times when my heart breaks and I can’t be there for her. You know how when you were little and you fell down your Mom had a smile, hug and a Band-Aid waiting. Or when someone hurt your feelings at school because you wore glasses AND braces, your Mom had a smile, hug and sound advice waiting. Or when he breaks your heart and you are too far away at college to come home, you can pick up the phone and your Mom’s voice has a smile and you know she would hug you if she could and she tells you he was a creep anyways. The point being-she was always there. And now when she is hurting and in pain, no one is immediately there for her.

As I type this I am humbled in realizing that actually God IS there. In the pain, in the sorrow, in the stillness of the night He is there. He suffered on the cross so that he could be there with us. He is with me while I ache for my Mom and Dad and he is with them both as they physically ache and I know emotionally ache to see each other.

John 14: 27 “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Your heart must not be troubled or fearful.”

“Peace on earth, good will to men!”


Mom will have company tonight-a friend from our old church will stay the night with her.

*************** THANK YOU *******************
I also wanted to say Thank You! I was again brought to tears by the thoughtfulness of all of my Birmingham family. I received a generous and undeserving gift last night to cover some of my travel expenses over the course of the next few months. You have no idea how you have touched me. I am thanking each of you personally but I cannot believe you all did that. I love you guys so much and am honored to be your friend.

Blake and I are headed home tonight after work. We will be there just for the weekend. I can't wait to see my Dad and my Mom. I also have a bag full of wrapped presents to place under the tree. I know that in light of everything the presents don't matter so much but I am eager to give back to so many relatives that have helped out this month. I wish I could give them more!

No comments:

Post a Comment