Sunday, December 21, 2008

Weekend Update

I got to talk to Mom on my lunch break on Friday and she said she needed a boppy. You know those pillows that go around your waist so you can breast feed your baby. She said it would help her prop up her arms on either side when she is sitting up. I told her Blake and I would swing by Babies R Us on our way to Georgia and buy her one.

I got her one that matched her "nursery" or rather her bedroom at home. I also laughed because it came with a free year's subscription to Parent magazine. I hope that comes in handy for her, seeing is how she is a Mother of a 29 and 34 year old!

We got in around 10pm on Friday. Dad was doing good. He has been surrounded by friends and family from the church and filled with good food. Blake dug right in to help him clean up the kitchen.

Dad said they had moved Mom to rehab already and that she couldn't have overnight visitors but had requested some clothes and photos of her family. It is hard to come home sometimes because part of me wants to stay at home all day with Dad and the other part wants to stay all day at St. Mary's with Mom. You have to balance your time so carefully. Dad's main concern is Mom of course, so he has no problem with us leaving to go see her.

We spent all Saturday morning with Dad and then left after lunch to see Mom. When we got there it was so amazing to see how upbeat she was in her little neck brace and now hard cast. It was truly a 180 difference. She is nowhere near full recovery but she is on her way. The race has begun and I think we are already at our first water stop.

They had just taken out the staples in her neck from the first surgery. The staples in her leg will remain until her bruising goes down. She isn't as black and blue more like purple and yellow now. And the best part of it all is that she talks with her feet. Like I said-we are Italian and since she can't use her arms her little feet go 90 to nothing when she talks.

Seeing this change in Mom reminded me of how we look after we experience Christ...new.


"Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things are passed away; behold, new things have come." (2 Corinthians 5:17).


New things have come...Its like Christmas morning in a way. You wake up with such anticipation of the new things under the tree wrapped in their enticing bows and paper. The stocking hung with care and filled with candy or gift cards. The new Atari (yes, I said Atari) hooked up to the TV playing Pacman. The new Barbie, toy car, stuffed animal, clothes, phone, etc... the list goes on. But above all the new things to come; the Christ child has come. The Messiah, the new life that will ultimately die on a cross so that we as sinners can become New Creatures...New things have come.

My family is healing and each day will bring new things. I am not giving up hope on the return of her left arm. I hate leaving her because she is more alert now she has more concept of time and she is lonely. I am going back today after we leave Dad and will visit with her one more time before the holidays. It's funny how this year-Christmas really can't come fast enough for me. Not because of any gift I am getting but because I will be home again to see my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment